Domestic Violence Training Curriculum
Domestic Violence Training for New Staff and Volunteers is a comprehensive introductory training curriculum developed by Northnode for front line domestic violence service providers.
How to Get These Materials
This flexible set of materials enables trainers to provide new staff and volunteers with a solid understanding of domestic violence, how it impacts adults and children, and how to respond skillfully to those who seek support and services.
It can be adapted for use as a "refresher course" with experienced staff who want to explore emerging issues in the field. It can also be used to train other helping professionals who need to be able to identify and respond to signs of domestic violence in those they serve.
The curriculum reflects the history and achievements of the battered women's movement as well as current and emerging thinking about intimate partner violence. Subjects covered include:
- An exploration of the language we use to describe and understand intimate partner violence
- The ways in which race, class, and culture inform our understanding of and response to domestic violence
- The impact of domestic violence on adults and children
- Legal issues of concern to survivors
- Secondary trauma and self-care
- Strength-based and trauma-informed responses to partner violence
This training curriculum consists of the following components:
Training and Adaptation of Materials
- Domestic Violence Training Curriculum Manual, designed to enable trainers to use the curriculum in its entirety or select segments that are especially relevant to those receiving training.
- Domestic Violence Trainer's Manual, containing all of the substantive material in the curriculum plus additional material for trainers to use in preparing for training sessions.
- A PowerPoint slide presentation to be used in conjunction with the curriculum.
Northnode staff and associates are available to provide training for trainers or training for direct service staff in health and human service agencies.
We can work with you to develop and/or deliver training that enables your staff to more effectively identify and respond to adults and children affected by domestic violence.
You can download the following by clicking on the links below.
Northnode can provide an electronic copy of these materials (including the supplementary handouts) on a CD. We can also provide an assembled hard copy of the entire package. These materials are available at cost, payable by check to Northnode, Inc. For information about pricing, please contact us.
There is no charge for using these training materials: the Curriculum Manual, the Trainer's Manual (without handouts) and the PowerPoint presentation. Permission is granted to use these materials specifically, including adapting them to your particular needs, provided that Northnode is properly cited as described below.
"These materials were developed by and are being used with permission of Northnode, Inc., www.northnode.org."
We are particularly interested in hearing about how you have used these materials and adaptations that are made to them.
For more information or to give us feedback, please contact us.
northnode - services - board-staff-associates
events - contact us
Northnode, Inc. is SOMWBA certified (W/NPO).
2001, 2009 Northnode. Please contact us for permission
to use any text or image on this web site.